Nature Walk Leaders
Nature Walk Leaders
Do you enjoy getting outdoors? Encouraging those around you to be more active, take an interest in the local around them? We are looking for volunteer walk leaders to support our walking group plan and carry out monthly nature walks in the east end of Glasgow. We are looking for passionate walkers that want to engage local communities in their parks, natural environments and the missed social history along our walking paths.
The Walk Leaders for our Nature Walking group will be a pivotal part of this programme. Cranhill Development Trusts walking group will primarily be volunteer led with support from our garden and food coordinator to provide information and context to walks. The purpose of this group is to help people in the local community get out and about whilst being more active and finding the natural environment more mindful and informative for a healthy lifestyle. Walk leaders must ensure that walks are well prepared in advance and they are welcoming and friendly. We aim to provide 1 Health Walk a month lasting an hour with a lunch provided. We deliver our walking programme in partnership with Paths for All, ensuring our walks fit the health walk criteria and we support the needs of an accessible group. Cranhill Development Trust offers a holistic service based on a relaxed and informal working environment. Our volunteers are central to the service offer we provide.
Role and Responsibilities
- Walk leaders must know the routes they plan on taking the group to – this must be planned in advance of the weekly walk
- Walk leaders must be friendly and approachable
- Walk leaders must ensure that everyone taking part on the walk is well prepared – a brief talk before the start of the walk should take place
- Walk leaders must be able to work as part of a team – you will be preparing and leading walks together
- Walk leaders will need to troubleshoot and deal with any problems that may arise during the walk.
- Walk Leaders must familiarise themselves with the Paths for All Health Walks initiatives in Glasgow and understand the criteria for a health walk, risk assessing walking routes and supporting the needs of their walking group.
This role would suit you if
- You are fit and healthy
- Are able to offer the time required for planning and leading walks weekly
- Are friendly and approachable
- Able to commit to training that may be required
- Experience is beneficial though not essential